Miss Clarissa

Sometimes there is a need to make a dress that's a bit vintage. A hint of a ruffle, a pleat here or there, an empire line and a hint of French style.  When that need comes along, there's Clarissa, by MCM Studio Designs

What had me sold on this dress from the beginning was the long sleeves.



I'm not sure about you, but I'm always on the lookout for a nice woven dress with long sleeves.  It's a tricky call, you need to make sure that the front of the armscye is different to the back or you're wearing a straight jacket - none of the knit fabric shortcuts allowed. Clarissa has long or short sleeves, both with a ruffle, and plenty of shoulder coverage on the short, so great for an Australian summer.



I sewed this version up in a floral quilters cotton, and I love it. I'm also having visions of it in silk and lace, so I think another one is on the cards.



 I always have to take my time with pleats, and read the instructions carefully. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like every time I do them, there's a different technique used.  But the instructions are detailed with lovely clear line drawings, that walk you through any of the slightly tricky steps.




Well Autumn has finally decided to show up, so this dress should get some wear. Although I don't think the weather has been quite so cold as Miss M would have you think in this photo.


The pattern can be found on Etsy here
And on Craftsy here

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for your help with the dress, Kate. You did a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful pattern and the fabric you chose suits it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts